This was SO GOOD. From ambitious Kitchen.
- 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 pound butternut squash, diced large (can also use sweet potatoes or acorn squash)
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed well
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- a few basil leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook a few minutes or until the onion becomes softened.
- Next stir in cumin, cinnamon, and salt and pepper; cook for a few more minutes until spices are fragrant. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, broth, butternut squash, and lentils. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until butternut squash is tender and lentils are fully cooked.
- Stir in lemon, red pepper flakes, cilantro, and basil. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Garnish with extra cilantro and greek yogurt, if desired. I like serving mine with spinach. Makes 6 servings – about 1 1/2 cups each.
six servings (about 1.5 cups each) = 260 calories, 2.1 g fat, 16.5 fiber, 14 protein