- My pictures turned out el nasto, so you get the cheesy one from the Taste of Home website instead. Also: this formatting is making me crazy tonight. Bottom line: we LOVED this. It tastes rich and flavorful and is so delicious.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I used cayenne)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
Saute onion and 1/2 cup red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; add broth and bring to boil. Cook and stir 1 minute, until thick.
Add potatoes, corn, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper (or cayenne) and pepper. Return to boil, reduce heat. Simmer 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Add milk and remaining red pepper. Cook and stir until soup boils. Remove from heat, add cheese and stir until melted.
Yields 8 servings (2 quarts)
1 cup = 272 calories, 12 g fat, 31 carb, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein