Honestly, this was pretty good but not fabulous. We do pizza every week, and it will be nice to throw into the rotation when we need a change.
- 4 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage (I used regular, not spicy, pork sausage)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper strips (about 1 medium)
- 1 recipe of pizza dough, OR (16-ounce) cheese-flavored pizza crust (such as Boboli)
- 1 cup Basic Marinara
- 1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste (I left this out)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese (I used at least 3 oz of each cheese)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Preheat oven to 450°. Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage and bell peppers to pan; cook 6 minutes or until bell peppers are crisp-tender and sausage is browned, stirring frequently.
Place pizza crust on a large baking sheet. Combine Basic Marinara and tomato paste, stirring with a whisk; spread evenly over crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with cheeses and oregano; top evenly with sausage mixture. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Calories: 335 (29% from fat) Fat: 10.9g Fiber: 2.9g
adapted from myrecipes.com